Identity Theft Investigations Leads to Multiple Arrests in Brampton
28th June 2021 – Peel Regional Police has made multiple arrests in an identity theft investigation which was carried out for a period of six weeks. 16 people, mostly from Brampton, are now facing over 140 charges including mail theft, fraud over $5,000, possession of stolen property and forged documents.
During the long investigation, Police has recovered hundreds of pieces of mail, stolen/altered cheques, printers, scanners, and other tools used to forge documents. Among other things, six stolen vehicles were also confiscated which were being used by the accused.
The investigation has revealed the modus operandi of the group that was running the racket. The accused would allegedly steal mail by breaking into Canada Post mailboxes or individual roadside residential mailboxes targeting cheques, credit cards, and identification documents. The accused would then allegedly alter and deposit the stolen cheques into various banks before withdrawing the funds fraudulently.
Below is the complete list of arrested persons. More arrests in this case may be expected in the coming days.
- Gurdeep Bains, a 46-year-old man, Brampton
- Hartinder Randhawa, a 37-year-old man, Brampton
- Taranjeet Virk, a 37-year-old man, Woodbridge
- Harmeet Khakh, a 28-year-old man, Brampton
- Gurdip Singh, a 28-year-old man, Brampton
- Harjinder Singh, a 31-year-old man, Brampton
- Gurkamal Mehmi, a 38-year-old man, Brampton
- Gurvinder Kang, a 38-year-old man, Brampton
- Gurpreet Singh, a 21-year-old man, Brampton
- Suhail Kumar, a 21-year-old man, Brampton
- Rattan Preetam, a 26-year-old man, Brampton
- Rupinder Sharma, a 25-year-old, Brampton
- Joga Singh, a 30-year-old, Toronto
- Varinderpal Kooner, a 43-year-old man, Brampton
- Harman Singh a 21-year-old man, Brampton
- Kuldeep Sandhara, a 27-year-old, Brampton